Re: [swarm-hackers] Speed differences: Linux vs. Windows

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] Speed differences: Linux vs. Windows
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 10:57:23 +1000

I could add a little more data to this debate.

I recently built a new MacOS X binary for JAGS an MCMC program written in C++ but spending most of its time in Apple's math libraries.

On a Core 2 Duo Mac Mini, I tried three different versions.

gcc-4.2  32 bit
gcc-4.2  64 bit
gcc-4.2 LLVM 64 bit

The 64 bit version was between 5 - 10% faster on most models. Although it was slower on one. I presume this due to the better 64 bit ISA. The LLVM version was slightly faster again, but only by 1 or 2%. Of course using LLVM makes no difference to the time spent in the math libraries.

Bill