Re: [swarm-hackers] Speed differences: Linux vs. Windows

From: Steve Railsback
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] Speed differences: Linux vs. Windows
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 11:42:07 -0700

Marcus G. Daniels wrote:
Steve Railsback wrote:
Before I post these results, do you informed people have anything to say about how much of the differences can be attributed to the 64-bit compiler vs. differences in Swarm code vs. other differences?
Do you think my final conclusion is reasonable?

(In the past, I found negligible speed difference between 32-bit Linux and Cygwin.)

I find it less than helpful to get aggregate scores that combine all sorts of issues into one number. Different compilers, different versions of Swarm, different instruction sets, different runtimes for POSIX semantics. About all it says is how much variance can be expected, but without a good model underlying that

OK, I won't say anything about why the various speed differences occur but just seeing the numbers will be useful to other people like me wondering whether it's worth switching to 64-bit Linux.

Steve

--
Steve Railsback
Lang, Railsback & Associates