Re: [swarm-hackers] Speed differences: Linux vs. Windows

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] Speed differences: Linux vs. Windows
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 20:02:37 -0600

Bill Northcott wrote:
Of course using LLVM makes no difference to the time spent in the math libraries.

The main area where I'd expect link time optimization (either LLVM GCC or GCC LTO) to make a difference is with separately compiled codes like Swarm and Swarm models having lots of small code blocks that ought to be inlined. As far as dynamic recompilation goes, LLVM has the infrastructure for that, but implementing trace trees (http://andreasgal.com) or anticipating dynamic method dispatch would be new work (as far as I am aware).

Marcus