[swarm-hackers] bye bye CVS?

From: Scott Christley
Subject: [swarm-hackers] bye bye CVS?
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 13:35:33 -0700

Hello All,

Now that Google SoC is over, maybe its time to consider moving away from CVS?

I converted my personal CVS repository, which is easily 10 years now (about 1GB), to SVN using the conversion tool and it worked just fine. Did have an issue with some very old old tags, but these were on deleted files sitting in the Attic and easily handled. I've been using SVN daily now for the past 3-4 months, and it works pretty nice. I especially like how its easier and more transparent for doing branches and tagging.

True, true, SVN really isn't all that much different from CVS, but the few little things that SVN does, which have always been annoying or painful in CVS, sure is nice :-)

It looks like savannah.nongnu.org supports SVN along with documentation and scripts for converting from CVS, so we don't even have to worry about moving servers.

All of this should be part of the "grand plan" to get Swarm back into a somewhat regular release cycle. There have been a bunch of development threads over the past few years, I really want to see us start rolling this work into releases. I think this is important for the Google work, that is a great resource and we need to project to Google (presuming they are even looking) that their efforts really are helping Swarm.

One nice thing is that with virtual machines, plus efforts to get Swarm into the packaging systems of many Linux, the pain and overhead of generating binary releases should be much less. It could even get to the point where we won't need to bother with binary releases except for the non-free systems like OSX and Windows.

Any thoughts?

Scott