Re: [swarm-hackers] bye bye CVS?

From: Nima Talebi
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] bye bye CVS?
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 09:35:03 +1000

SVN to me is a much nicer version of CVS, but still CVS nevertheless. What do people think about Mercurial (http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/)?

Nima

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 8:10 AM, Bill Northcott <address@hidden> wrote:
It makes sense to me to move to svn.

Git is another can of worms altogether.  I think we would need a significantly larger community for that sort of fragmentation to make much sense.

My two pennyworth
Bill

On 27/09/2008, at 6:46 AM, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:

Hmm, for encouraging development (assuming that learning the revision control system was a minor cost, which I think it is not here), then in principle it would be better to have many independent fronts of development as in git or Mercurial than a centralized system. For example, looking at the Linux kernel git repository (http://git.linux.org, there's a sense of ownership that seems good to encourage.  On the other hand, if converting over to svn is easy on savannah, that's a good solid improvement.