Re: [swarm-hackers] Old autoconf build process is broken in current trun

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] Old autoconf build process is broken in current trunk
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 16:38:40 +1100

On 25/11/2009, at 4:07 PM, Scott Christley wrote:
> On Nov 24, 2009, at 9:00 PM, Bill Northcott wrote:
>
>> Does the openstep option alter the runtime or just the GUI?
>
> It should just alter the GUI, on Linux the openstep option uses gnustep and
> that uses the GNU objc runtime.

Just a thought, but I believe MacOS gnustep uses the Apple runtime, but doubt
anyone uses it.

>> It seems to me that the runtime should be chosen automagically onthe basis
>> of the host.
> Yeah, except I didn't want to trump your Mac work, which as I understand uses
> the GNU runtime right now.

Don't mind me.  The GNU runtime is busted on the Mac because of lack of
compiler support.  Clang-LLVM won't support it, Apple gcc had the code stripped
out some while back and the FSF gcc does not support -arch and other Apple
stuff.  Even the Apple/FSF hybrid cobbled up by Simon Urbanek barfs on nested
functions.  I would be very happy to see the modified Swarm runtime put out of
its misery.

>> Does the current code always use the host/gcc runtime. Can we ditch the old
>> Swarm modified runtime?
>
> Actually tcl/tk on Linux uses the Swarm modified runtime.  The reason for
> this is to access the "mframe" stuff.  This is needed for openstep because it
> has its own mframe code.

Expletive deleted.  I thought we had murdered mframe.  Can we not use use
blocks to replace that functionality?

I could never quite see where mframe got used.  My old MacOS build using libffi
did not need it for call forwarding, and it seems to me that both Apple and GNU
runtimes do call forwarding without needing it.  Marcus was always muttering
stuff about if being needed for Java, but I never got my head around this.

How does it come into Tcl/Tk?  I thought we were using a C API for this, which
would mean no foreign function calls.

Bill