Re: Biological Analogies in Manufacturing

From: Ed Swanstrom
Subject: Re: Biological Analogies in Manufacturing
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 06:34:10 -0500

Hi Frank,

For specific models, we are working with a fortune 500 commercial
manufacturing company so those will not be released. I don't think we can
deliver the generic hypotheses and model by the 27th. We are up to our
eyebrows in the initial stages of a massive project transforming a rigid
organization into an adaptive one.

Perhaps in the future we can provide some generic information.

Ed Swanstrom
Agilis Corporation

At 09:36 AM 2/20/98 +0000, frank mill wrote:
>I am a senior lecturer at The University of Edinburgh and I am also a
>member of the Europeans Union's 'Intelligent Manufacturing Systems'
>Working Group.  I have been asked in this role to prepare a paper
>outlining the general areas of application for work based on
>biological systems.  Although I have covered obvious areas such as
>neural nets and genetic algorithms etc I have also been looking at
>biological manufacturing systems ( a large Japanese project ) and
>behavioural models for economic agents.  We have also been working
>with Swarm models in engineering design and planning and intended to
>do some work on more general manufacturing problems.
>I was therefore greatly interested to hear that you are already doing
>something in this field.  As I am about to complete my paper, is
>there any information you can give me about your work?
>(papers, web sites anything - I am due to finish my paper by 27 Feb)
>I know this i rushed and thanks for taking the time to read this,
>Cheers,
>Frank Mill
>Frank Mill
>Senior Lecturer - Manufacturing Planning Group
>Department of Mechanical Engineering
>The University of Edinburgh
>King's Buildings
>EDINBURGH
>EH9 3JL
>UK
>tel ++44 (0)131 650 5673
>fax ++44 (0)131 667 3677
>email address@hidden
>web http://www.mech.ed.ac.uk

>   Swarm-Modelling is for discussion of Simulation and Modelling techniques
>   esp. using Swarm.  For list administration needs (esp. [un]subscribing),
>   please send a message to <address@hidden> with "help" in the
>   body of the message.

Ed Swanstrom
Agilis Corporation