Re: Social Networks

From: Nigel Gilbert
Subject: Re: Social Networks
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 09:04:46 +0100

While I haven't done any modelling of informal networks (by which I think you mean networks of individuals), you might look at our paper in the recent issue of JASSS which describes a model of innovation networks - networks of firms. See:

http://jasss.soc.surrey.ac.uk/4/3/8.html

Nigel

Dear All,

thanks for the responses regarding social networks. I am particulary
interested in work on the importance of informal networks such as presented
in the following papers:

Burt, R.S. 1997. The contingent value of social capital. Adminstrative
Science Quarterly. 42, 339-365.
Uzzi, B. 1996.  The sources and consequences of embeddedness for the
economic performance of organizations: the network effect. American
Sociological Review.  61, 674-698.
Uzzi, B. 1999.  Embeddedness in the making of financial capital: How social
relations and networks benefit firms seeking finance.  American
Sociological Review.  64, 481-505.

I am not aware of too much agent based modelling work that has addressed
such issues - in particular the dynamics and formation of informal
networks. Please find also attached an offer for a position in my new group
that is related to work in this field.

Best regards

Claudia

Attachment converted: Dumbo:C1Stelle.doc (WDBN/MSWD) (00054E4D)

Professor Nigel Gilbert, FREng, AcSS, Pro Vice-Chancellor and Professor of
Sociology, University of Surrey, Guildford GU2 7XH, UK. +44 (0)1483 689173