Re: Ever see this: dia2code?

From: Glen E. Ropella
Subject: Re: Ever see this: dia2code?
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 10:35:07 -0800

At 10:13 AM 1/2/2002 -0600, you wrote:
Since there are so many programmers around here, I wondered if somebody would look at this at tell me what kind of a project it would be to develop this round tripping capability. Or, perhaps more accurately, how much would you expect a professor to pay for the development of such a tool, if you know what I mean. How much should be budgeted?

The expansive interpretation of this tool is too hard.  Basically, in
order to do this, you would need to build a language translater
(like f2c [grin]) that reads one language and writes another language.
I posit this because I believe UML is at least as expressive as,
say, Java.  Further, there is more meaning in the expression of a
program in any given language than compilers (translators) can
interpret, which makes automatically translated code hard to read.
So, either the uml (read from say, Java) would be prohibitively
convoluted or vice versa.

The smaller part of this tool would be to simply generate a
class diagram from a body of code.  This is hard enough given
things like dynamic class generation and inner classes; but,
it's a solved problem for the usual languages.  If it hasn't
been done for ObjC, then all you'd need is a good class browser
and augment that to write the format for the diagram to be
displayed.

glen e. p. ropella  =><=          Hail Eris!
Home: 831.335.4950  =><=  Cell: 831.247.7901
http://sru51-1.servers-r-us.com/~gepr