Re: [Swarm-Modelling] short reading list for IBMs/ABMs in ecology?

From: Doug Donalson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] short reading list for IBMs/ABMs in ecology?
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 15:48:04 -0800

Yes Alex, I'm still lurking.  I wrote my own C++/Windows GUI with lists etc.
so I am using that now (faster is better).  To answer your questions, HADES
was pre Swarm.  I will send you a couple of things I have written that may
or may not help.

Here is a paper that might be useful to you.  It compares the results of a
PDE model to those of an equivelent ABM.

Nisbet, R. M., Diehl, S., Cooper, S. D., Wilson, W. G., Donalson, D. D.,
Kratz, K., Primary productivity gradients and short-tern population dynamics
in open systems. Ecological Monographs 67: 535-553, 1997.

You might want to think about the following when approaching your orals:

The biggest argument against ABMs in Ecology has been the assumption that
adding more parameters means that the model becomes less accurate.  This is
not true.  (I call it " !(The Emperor's New Clothes) " argument). If you
pretend it is no longer there, you don't have to think aboit it.)  It comes
from the fact that as you move to simpler model classes, say from a CA based
representation of a system to an ODE based representation of the same
system, the interactions appear to become more simple and thereby more
tractable.  However, this is an illusion.  All of the mechanisms that are
explicitly represented in the CA still exist in the ODE, they are just
subsumed in the implicit structure of the model.   Over and over I have the
same discussion with eco-modelers.  "Tell me, if you think movement might be
important in this system than how can you believe that a model that has
instant teleportation of all agents to new random locations every
millisecond (the well-mixed ODE assumption) can be more accurate than a
model where you can explore the dynamical responses to different possible
spatial movement scenarios (including the well-mixed assumption) and better
understand how spatial movement might effect the overall system dynamics."
You can extend this argument to things like "logistic growth", which becomes
quite interesting when you try to implement it in a spatially explicit
model, or some of the functional responses (like the Holling Type 3
functional response.)

One of the things I am sending you is a book chapter that is in the
publication cycle at present that discusses how using different model
classes (ODE, SBD, CA, and ABM) to explore the same system can greatly
improve both the verification and validation processes in model development.
I actually have a much better (modified) version of this chapter but it is
still is prep and not at the point where it would do you any good.  It
explores how different spatial assumptions (for example grid-based vs.
continuous space) change system dynamics in a model of mussels and their
predators, sea stars.

Anyway, I'll get those out to you ASAP.  (A great philosophical question is,
"What does ASAP mean to a procrastinator?")

Cheers,

D4

PS  Have you discussed this with Cherie Briggs or is she "The Committee
Member".