Re: [Swarm-Modelling] short reading list for IBMs/ABMs in ecology?

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] short reading list for IBMs/ABMs in ecology?
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 11:21:19 -0600

I'd say Lou should refer you to his excellent online lecture notes. I grabbed a copy from his web site and I make all my students read! I'm glad I did that, too, because when I go back to his site I can't find my way back to the same place. Here's the copy I kept.

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/ps909/Agent-Based_Models/GrossLectureNotes.fmt

address@hidden wrote:
Alex,
On the specific topic you mentioned (compare and constrast ABM/IBM to classical models), I suggest you might include the paper by Lorenz Fahse, Christian Wissel, and Volker Grimm "Reconciling classical and individual-based approaches in theoretical
population ecology:  a protocol for extracting population
parameters from individual-based models" published in American Naturalist 152:838-852 (Dec. 1998) available through Jstor. Volker Grimm and colleagues have published alot more on this topic since then, but that paper lays out a good framework for the topic you mentioned. Note that Eli Meir has been working on a whole
book on this topic as well, based around what he has learned from
developing Ecobeaker - I don't think the book is out yet though. Regarding what pre-dated Swarm, you should realize that Swarm has been around in one form or another for a long time - I first saw a demo of it when we invited Dave Hiebeler here for a visit in mid-1994, at which time it was still at such a stage that we decided for the ATLSS project to develop our own C++ code. Good luck preparing for the exams!
    Best regards,
         Lou Gross
Professor of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology

1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504