Re: [Swarm-Modelling] short reading list for IBMs/ABMs in ecology?

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] short reading list for IBMs/ABMs in ecology?
Date: 26 Mar 2003 16:48:01 -0800

LG> Alex, On the specific topic you mentioned (compare and constrast
LG> ABM/IBM to classical models), I suggest you might include the
LG> paper by Lorenz Fahse, Christian Wissel, and Volker Grimm
LG> "Reconciling classical and individual-based approaches in
LG> theoretical population ecology: a protocol for extracting
LG> population parameters from individual-based models" published in
LG> American Naturalist 152:838-852 (Dec. 1998) available through
LG> Jstor.  Volker Grimm and colleagues have published alot more on
LG> this topic since then, but that paper lays out a good framework
LG> for the topic you mentioned. Note that Eli Meir has been working
LG> on a whole book on this topic as well, based around what he has
LG> learned from developing Ecobeaker - I don't think the book is out
LG> yet though.

Hi Lou,

Thanks for you suggestions.  The Volker Grimm paper is certainly high
on the citation lists!

LG> Regarding what pre-dated Swarm, you should realize that Swarm has
LG> been around in one form or another for a long time - I first saw a
LG> demo of it when we invited Dave Hiebeler here for a visit in
LG> mid-1994, at which time it was still at such a stage that we
LG> decided for the ATLSS project to develop our own C++ code.  Good
LG> luck preparing for the exams!

Yes I remember myself, having stumbled across the early papers on
Swarm (e.g. describing the Hiebler prototype) sometime in 1994 before
my trek to the SFI was even in my sights.  I even have the original
source code for "pgas" from 1993-ish tucked away somewhere.  "pgas",
for "process gas" was the working title before "Swarm", which Nelson
Minar (and perhaps others?) wrote when he was a REU at SFI before he
started on Swarm.

And of course, all these efforts were built upon earlier work, so
Swarm-as-we-know-it is certainly the result of a long lineage!

Btw, wearing my mailing list admin hat, I took the liberty of also
subscribing you with "gross at tiem.utk.edu" as well as "gross at
ecology.tiem.utk.edu", because the subscribed address and the From
address need to match exactly.  I disabled delivery from the second
address, you should see only one copy of each message, but you can now
post with either address, with mailing list admin approval.