Re: [Swarm-Modelling] social dynamics

From: Darren Schreiber
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] social dynamics
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 11:48:49 -0700

My model of political party formation does essentially what you are talking about. Individual agents look around in the "issue space" to see what other agents have similar political views to them. They form a coalition with their closest neighbor. Recursively, the coalitions look to see what other agents or coalitions are closest and form super-coalitions. The end result is political parties composed of coalitions of coalitions. I haven't been working on this project for a few years, but an explanation, graphics, and the paper are located on my website: (http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~dschreib).

I'm finishing my dissertation right now using brain imaging to study political thinking. My next step is to merge the insights from my neural microfoundations into the macro-scale party model and show how ideology is an emergent property of political dynamics.

On a much less serious note, the cocktail party model (http://zia.hss.cmu.edu/econ/homework00/2/cocktail.html) that Troy Tessier and I wrote at the Santa Fe Institute a number of years ago also has people forming social groups. Agents search the room looking for someone interesting to talk with. They talk until they get bored or someone more interesting passes by, at which point they move off in search of more interesting conversation.

I am similarly interested in anyone pursuing this line of work, so keep me informed.

        Darren