Re: [Swarm-Modelling] social dynamics

From: Darren Schreiber
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] social dynamics
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 01:48:37 -0700

The next versions of the model will do exactly what you are describing. I am basically going to take the current model and incorporate my advisors' theories about persuasion (John Zaller "The Nature and Origins of Mass Opinion" 1992). Later, I will use a major result from my brain imaging work (supporting the contention that two distinct brain systems with different computational properties are responsible for some of the confusing features of public opinion) to motivate a computational model of political cognition. I will either use Ron Sun's Clarion model ("Duality of Mind: A Bottom Up Approach Toward Cognition" 2001) or something similar. This computational model will replace the very very simple five rule system that drives my current party model.

While I have lofty ambitions for this party model, I should note that its simple incarnation has lots to offer. One of the main benefits of agent-based modeling, in my mind, is that we can often show really complex and interest behavior emerges from a very simple model. I strongly believe that if we stray from the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid) it should only be when we have demonstrated that simple methods are inadequate. And, even our extensions to models should be extremely parsimonious and high leverage (explaining a lot with very little.)

I also agree that changing the agent's motivation to be in coalitions is a laudable direction. My friends and I love to quote E.E. Schattsneider's phase "the organized beat the unorganized." But, I think agent based modeling would be a very nice way of testing the conditions under which that is true.

        Darren