Re: [Swarm-Modelling] beginner

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] beginner
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 11:56:27 -0700

glen e. p. ropella wrote:
>From another perspective, if you intend to learn programming to do this,
then Python is a good language to learn because it's useful in other
contexts and is object-oriented and interpreted (rather than compiled).
I'd say if your going to invest in a learning a programming language, learn one that can be used effectively for simulation. Simulation is compute-bound, so I'd suggest languages that can be effectively compiled (and therefore run fast). Iron Python (on .NET & Mono) might reasonably still meet this criteria. The inconvenience of compile time isn't a factor these days, computers are so fast. Languages like C, Objective C, C#, C++ and Java are good for large scale agent simulation, for example.