Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Something Glen said

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Something Glen said
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 19:31:13 -0700

glen e. p. ropella wrote:
The lack of new users has more to do with the comparative ease of use
for the other tool kits.
Ease of use increases when a package's infrastructure is maintained and updated to mainstream technologies and decreases when it is not. It's not particularly interesting work to describe to modelers, but the fact is with limited project resources it is crucial to leverage work from outside projects. There is of course work above and beyond maintenance work to make a package easy to use, and users productive, but it is arguably the least interesting of all work to do, and least likely to occur in a volunteer framework.

On open source projects, I would say it is the exception not the rule that active codevelopment occurs outside a small core group of people or in a distributed way. The ones that do work have a very motivated set of people in the center of them, and have broad range of opportunities for contributing code (in a self-benefiting and/or reinforcing way) without deep requirements for system understanding in order to make useful and correct contributions. Thus the motivation for protocols that connect system components each with different experts as needed --- the motivation for a multilanguage interface for Swarm. Indeed we never got there with Swarm as a public release so you and other people Swarm as monolithic even though it's a somewhat superficial evaluation of the code.
I think if Swarm's essential API (activity, defobj, collections, and
space) were extracted, leaving behind all the bells and whistles, and
cleaned up
An API is useless by itself. It must be implemented. In the best possible world a multi-language interface would facilitate, for example, a new collection library written in C++ or Python or in whatever language an opinionated person such as yourself preferred. You would own the new collections, and be however loud and proud about the whole thing as you liked! A user could opt to try out your great new widget and then if they didn't like it fall back to the old one. In this view, the `bells and whistles' (or what I believe you are talking about), are in fact the most important thing. It's the basis for uncoordinated and centralized work. This implementation approach for Swarm is passe. Now there is Windows .NET and Mono that do all this. Sure, Swarm could still be adapted to fit into this framework, but at least the framework itself isn't needed except to the extent of pulling in Objective C. Probably better work to do this would be to actually get an Objective C target working in Mono. GCC/CLR support was one of those Google Summer of Code projects, and probably is within reach. Or one could just completely start fresh with some new ideas.

Volunteer work on packaging for Fedora Core is admirable and very valuable as is volunteer work on GNUstep and Mac packaging, but I'm afraid it is not enough to keep the package moving forward, at least for a community of largely disconnected users. Meanwhile a user might reasonably object "I just want something that works". That goal is largely incompatible with volunteer open source development. What these people should do (and what is fair in the larger scheme of things) is go to their department heads and get a budget for Matlab/Simulink or some similar commercial solution.
Marcus