Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Large scale ABM Simulation on the GPU

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Large scale ABM Simulation on the GPU
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 03:38:13 -0700

Miles Parker wrote:
Right, that's OpenCL.
CUDA is a branch with a new GPU back-end of a branch (PathScale compiler) of the Open64 compiler, but just not open. As far as Apple is concerned, OpenCL seems to mean elaborating the clang front end to LLVM and/or the gcc-4.2 branch for LLVM. My guess is that any hypothetical new work for new LLVM backends for ATI hardware, like NVidia did for their hardware with PathScale/CUDA, will end up not a part of the public LLVM tree. I speculate OpenCL is smoke and mirrors to facilitate proprietary extensions that otherwise would have been open source in LLVM proper.

Meanwhile, Cell support has been in the (public) GCC and the Linux kernel sources for years..