swarm-swarmfest2004

RE: [SwarmFest2004] swarmfest04 -- Budget estimates --- **Please respond

From: Burkhart Roger M
Subject: RE: [SwarmFest2004] swarmfest04 -- Budget estimates --- **Please respond**
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 08:58:58 -0600

No other response back yet from Rick's message despite his
call for urgency...

I never heard back from my own question as to whether or not
SDG had ever offered to cover the risk of putting on a SwarmFest
for anyone else, but since I don't remember ever being asked to
vote on it I assume not, which means that the host presumably
assumed any risk.  But the way budgets have moved in nearly
every state-supported university I hear about the last couple
years makes it perfectly understandable that UMich budgets
not be able to take on the risk.  Personally, I think offering
SDG funds to cover any risk based on numbers of attendees,
while keeping SwarmFest registration fees and categories where
they've been, is an appropriate use of SDG funds, and I would
vote in favor. Your suggested amount of up to $3000 to cover
fixed costs, which would need to be covered only if attendee
numbers failed to materialize, fits well within SDG capacity
especially since we haven't been spending money on anything else.

Does anyone else have any opinions before we should take this
over to the SDG directors list to ask for a vote?  (This list
alone has a majority of the board so we might as well have
a consensus here first.)  Unfortunately, I'm going to be out
of email contact for close to a week after today, so if Rick
or anyone wants to go ahead and issue a call for vote so Rick
can get out his CFP, please feel free to go ahead and count
me as a supporter even if my vote comes toward the end of
the open voting period.  If Rick has a clear enough consensus
prior to the final formalities of the vote perhaps that can
also be enough to go ahead with the call.  Perhaps we could
make this a request of the organizing committee that just
needs to be confirmed by the board.

With the May date I think that this CFP will still make it out
further ahead of time than any other that I recall.  We should
give some thought about how to promote the event this year,
and perhaps the wording to put in the CFP.  I think it would
be good to emphasize our interest in attracting all cross
sections of the ABM community on either applications or tools.
Separate from the CFP we may also want to contact other toolkit
developers to see if they would be interested in gathering for
some additional discussions on toolkit directions, perhaps on
Sunday when the tutorial is going on, similar to what Michael
North has organized at the Agent 200x conferences in Chicago
in the fall.  This year's SwarmFest could be well-timed to get
a read on any new toolkit development directions, especially
given the shift in RePast support and new toolkits like Mason
(or any others I haven't heard about yet) popping up.

On the fine detail of the budget, once we feel we're past any
risk threshhold, one more budget category we've occasionally
spent in the past is for live entertainment (of various
eclectic kinds) at the opening reception or at dinner.  I don't
know what the logistics for lunch may be, but paying the $720
for lunch one day but not the other may not be necessary (unless
this was just for tutorial attendees).

--Roger