swarm-swarmfest2004

RE: [SwarmFest2004] swarmfest04 -- Budget estimates --- **Please respond

From: Burkhart Roger M
Subject: RE: [SwarmFest2004] swarmfest04 -- Budget estimates --- **Please respond**
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 14:23:22 -0600

Rick--

> I will draft a CFP and circulate that, and I'll try
> to work in the ideas you have below.
> I'd be happy to contact Mike North about a toolkit
> session on sunday afternoon.   Who else might we invite?
> Netlogo and StarLogo folks, I suppose.  Do any of
> you know them? Are there still Ascape people active?
> Any other relevant toolkits?

Organizing a toolkit session isn't as time-critical as
the general CFP.  BTW I agree the sooner we get out a
CFP the better; it's previous years when we let things
slip too late, so any relative timeliness is most welcome.
Besides toolkits mentioned below, new ones I've heard of
recently are MASON and breve.  There are also links to
a wider range of agent toolkits on a new swarm wiki that
someone has started populating!  See
http://www.cscs.umich.edu:8123/wiki/Tools_for_Agent-Based_Modelling.

> We can think about live entertainment I guess,
> if we think we can afford it.  As i understand it,
> last year the reception also sort of doubled as
> a poster session, yes?  So maybe that would be a conflict?

That's true, and it proved to be well worth it, and the
entertainment would have been a conflict.  Again, this is
something we could always consider later.  Another option
is to turn the dinner into more of a party, coming the
second night after the reception, which we've also done.

Here's are bits of CFP's we've used several years running,
which still seem serviceable enough:

The Department of Computer Science & Engineering and the
Center for the Study of Biocomplexity at the University of
Notre Dame, and the Swarm Development Group (SDG) are
pleased to announce the Seventh Annual Swarm Users/Researchers
Meeting to be held on the campus of the University of Notre
Dame, on April 13-15, 2003.

At SwarmFest 2003, scientists, modelers, and programmers
orking in a wide variety of domains will get the opportunity
to share their research, knowledge and experience with
multi-agent modeling including (but not restricted to) the
Swarm simulation system. Researchers using other Agent-based
Modeling tools such as RePast, StarLogo, Echo, NetLogo, IMT,
AgentSheets, Ascape are invited to participate. The Swarm
Development Group also uses the meeting to help determine
future development priorities, so come and tell us what's
on your mind! The meeting is a cross section of the community,
historically including content suitable for both inexperienced
and experienced users and researchers.
During the conference, we will be holding a series of talks
including time for discussion following each presentation.
Please send proposals for presentations, demonstrations,
break-out-sessions, or any other suggestions to
<address@hidden>. We will be publishing the
SwarmFest 2001 proceedings. Please be prepared to submit
your abstracts and papers in electronic form!

SwarmFest 2001 will commence with a party at 6:00pm Saturday
evening, April 28, 2001 at the Santa Fe Institute, in Santa Fe,
New Mexico. Funk wizards FreshUp will kick-start the the 'fest
with an array of out-there groove oriented jazz. Yeah! Bring
those dancing shoes!

The meeting, proper, will be on April 29th and 30th at Hotel
Santa Fe. The program scheduling details are in development.

--Roger