synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Distribution selection

From: Sebastian Heinlein
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Distribution selection
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 09:17:58 +0200

Am Die, den 30.09.2003 schrieb Guillaume Pratte um 23:08:

> I am kind of lost... What does "apt pining" means? Does it means to install
> packages from different "distributions"? I don't see the parallel between a
> pin and that, but then again, my native language is French, not English, so I
> would appreciate any help understanding the concept.
>
> It will be easier for me to follow the rest of the discussion after that.

I was wrong.

Normally the latest and not the most stable one is installed.

The new release selection is actually apt pining. So there is no need to
edit other configuration files.

apt pining means that you can define certain priorities for each
repository and so override the default behavior.

For further explanations see the man page: apt_preferences.

Sebastian