synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Testversion 1 for 0.53 available

From: Sebastian Heinlein
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Testversion 1 for 0.53 available
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 23:13:03 +0200

Am Sonntag, den 01.08.2004, 16:18 -0400 schrieb sashko:
> on 08/01/04 12:34 Michael Vogt wrote:

> thanx to Sebastian for FC2, it works (and looks) really nice.
> you guys, did really good job.

Nice to hear that the packages haven't crashed any machine yet :)

> > - Properties of the package can optionally be shown in main window
> that's great improvement! (comparing to 0.52 of course)

Time will tell us more. But it is a bad improvement in the sense of
consistency and appearance since there are some issues with the
widgets/controls - see mail from Leendert. But we don't have the
resources to fix this in the near future, anybody else? :)

> > - reworked the column editor (thanks Sebastian)
> I'm just thinking what if column editor implementation will be done like
> that one on the screenshot attached (thunderbird), it seems to be common
> for gtk applications, isn't it? And column rearrangement can be done by
> drag'n'drop there.

No, it is not. ASFAIK Thunderbird doesn't use any native GTK widgets. It
would be an endless task to fix all shortcomings of the toolkit on the
application level. This should be done by the GTK team. You could take a
look at the bugzilla of GTK and check if an request for this already
exists - but I think so.

> > - various bugfixes
> what about to put the Force Version button directly on the "versions
> tab" like Michael Vogt said before?

There has been no final decision on this.

> And about that "hackish" search implementataion.
> I'm using couple application which also have search-im-the-list
> implemented. It works like:
> you type "a"  - all the list is shrinked displaing the lines which start
> with "a"
> type "b" - the list is shrinked furthes to lines which start with "ab"
> and so on.
> I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. So I just thought it would be
> nice to have such search in synaptic.

The feature is called type-a-head and will be perhaps included in GTK
2.6. I am sorry, but you (we) will have to wait for FC3 or install the
GTK package from rawhide - ASFASIK the patch is already included there.

> I'm sorry, If that was mentioned before and I missed it.

This has already been mentioned by me several times. You should really
read my emails, but I am a generous one :)

Regards,

Sebastian