synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Testversion 1 for 0.53 available

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Testversion 1 for 0.53 available
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 23:03:23 +0200

On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 11:40:36PM +0200, Leendert Meyer wrote:

> > > Works well. I like this one too.
> >
> > The disabling of the signature verification is actually a bad work
> > around. The best would be to install and verify the correct GPG keys of
> > the vendors.
>
> Indeed. But until one has found and installed the key, this is quite handy!

As dicussed before, it would be nice if synaptic would provide a
convenient way for key management. But lack of time ...

> > > Hmmm, this probably needs a minimal size restriction. Some weird things
> > > happen at the bottom if the size is shrunk to the smallest possible (i.e.
> > > height=0), especially with the 'Common' tab. With 'weird things' I mean:
> > > the statusbar at the bottom is disturbed or covered by other widgets.
> >
> > There are some problems in Glade, that we use to draw some windows. If
> > we disallow to shrink parts of the window the application might hang up
> > under some circumstances.
>
> Disallow? Hmm, perhaps I was not clear enough? I meant restrict the height of
> the properties widget to a minimum.

We fixed this (thanks Sebastian) and another window sizing bug. I hope
it works now as expected. I put those fixes in 0.53pre2 (just
uploaded). No Suse or Fedora packages as I lack such a system (sorry!).

> > > The 'Common' tab needs a vertical scrollbar. All other tabs have one, and
> > > it appears if needed, but not the 'Common' tab.
> >
> > Same as above. But scrolling native widgets is a bad decision - we
> > haven't had the time (yet) to implement a text field in the common tab.
>
> I suppose one needs to put the controls on a container widget, and provide
> that container widget with a vertical scrollbar...

This is fixed in 0.53pre2 as well.

> > > In the 'Version' tab, the Text color appears as gray (not black). Is this
> > > intended?
> >
> > This is already fixed in the current development tree, but I thought
> > that this change would not be worth recompiling the packages.
>
> Well... ;P

Fixed in 0.53pre2 :)

thanks for your feedback,
 Michael

P.S. Source and deb of 0.53pre2 is available at:
http://people.debian.org/~mvo/synaptic/0.53/
--
The first rule of holes is: when you find yourself in one, stop digging. - PJ