Re: [Taler] Taler roll out

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Taler] Taler roll out
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 11:24:25 +0100

On 01/08/2016 10:15 AM, Klaus Schleisiek wrote:

> Am 07.01.2016 um 21:02 schrieb Florian Dold:
>> > What is the harm in having the fulfillment signature right now, which
>> > might be ignored by current wallets, but that might be used by future
>> > wallets that provide merchant PKI support?
> I think that we have very different problems at present. We are talking about
> piece of software that nobody uses. Why should we optimize it if it works good
> enough to be rolled out. Rolling out is the real problem.

Hi Klaus,

While I agree with you that rollout is the main problem, we should not
stifle discussion of technical issues -- be it features, minor bugs, or
even major design choices -- just because the business issues are
"larger".  As far as I see it, those are two totally orthogonal
questions, and pursuing technical excellence does not impede the
business development side at all, especially as (except for me)
different people are involved.

As for your suggestions, I agree with your assessment of the issues
around (1), but I think financing (1b) is not unrealistic, and (1a) does
not matter as long as this is to demonstrate the viability of the
concept. If we can make (2) or (3) happen without (1), great, but I
think it is makes sense to technically work towards making option (1)
work ASAP. For (2) and (3) we can talk to people (and we have had some
talks already on (2)), but it simply takes time to develop those
relationships, and having (1) would IMO help here.

As for (3), we should consider that the existing CC system is beneficial
to very big merchants (need to trust merchant with personal information
= preference for big players), and that huge ones (like Amazon, Samsung,
Apple, Google) will try to push their in-house "trust us" solutions
(i.e. ApplePay).

Now, it is conceivable that Otto Versand is too small to realistically
push their own and thus at that size Taler becomes a compelling business
case just to stop the payment system monopolies from the biggest
players. But I'm not sure how big they are exactly, and if their
management understands this ;-).

Finally, we probably want to somehow coordinate who approaches which
potential partner(s) when with what, to make sure this is done in a
professional manner. So while I'm currently happy with any help we can
get, it might still be a good idea to first create proper marketing
materials (presentations, etc.) and an overall strategy before community
members approach potential partners more or less at random.

That said, I certainly agree with that (3) needs to happen eventually
and should be part of the plan. Maybe you can work with Nana to plan
this properly?