Re: [Taler] feedback required: browser/wallet integration design documen

From: Florian Dold
Subject: Re: [Taler] feedback required: browser/wallet integration design document
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2020 23:11:55 +0530

On 4/8/20 11:00 PM, Torsten Grote wrote:
> On 2020-04-08 14:04, Florian Dold wrote:
> For example, can an extension register itself to handle taler:// links
> and can a page find out if there's something registered to handle
> taler:// links? If so, pages could check that and simply show a pay
> button that links to the taler Uri, if a wallet is available. If not,
> they ask the user to install one.

It would indeed be great if we had a mechanism like that available.  But
to the best of my knowledge, the WebExtension API simply doesn't allow this!

The only thing I'm aware of is the general handler registration that
*every* website can do (navigator.registerProtocolHandler), and that is
limited to URI schemes beginning with the "web+" prefix.

But thanks for the suggestion and quick review, I've actually added the
"URI handler" approach in the "alternatives" section, noting that
currently WebExtension doesn't support it.  If it gets supported in the
future, we should definitely use it in our wallet extension.

- Florian