[Taler] Balance and Transaction API (was: Balance and Transaction List U

From: Torsten Grote
Subject: [Taler] Balance and Transaction API (was: Balance and Transaction List UI)
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 11:10:33 -0300

On 2020-04-13 15:23, Florian Dold wrote:
> So you basically want the ability to show only certain types / a certain
> category ("monetary transaction") of history events?  Would that be enough?

If we all agree that what discussed in this thread is how we want to
display balance and transaction information from the wallet in the UI,
then it would be nice if the API followed that structure, so that a
wallet developer doesn't need to puzzle together information from
various queries or filter out lots of noise.

We could try to make least invasive changes into the current API or make
bigger changes and use the opportunity to clean it up.

What a wallet needs (in this area) is essentially:

* get current balances per currency
  * how should we sort those?
  * balances per exchange could be removed here
* get past and pending transactions per currency
  * ideally both types use the same format
    and just indicate if pending or not
  * maybe pending transactions can also have a stage, if needed
  * remove transactions not relevant for the user
  * fold refresh event into respective transactions
  * add Merchant object from contract terms to transactions
    (maybe in orderShortInfo)
* cancel pending transaction (where/if appropriate)
* delete transaction

For the two get methods, it would be nice if there would be a
notification returning their new results whenever the old one has
changed, so there's no need to re-query that.

There's the question if we should add search into the wallet-core API or
if the UI just does the search on merchant name and order summary itself?

>> If we want to keep that Show All checkbox, the space in the action bar
>> might not be sufficient to house an overflow menu icon and a search icon.
> If that's an issue, couldn't we exile the "show all" checkbox into an
> overflow menu?

Balance: 23.42 TESTKUDOS [Search Icon] [Overflow Icon]

is too much for small phone screens, so it would ellipsise the TESTKUDOS
(or the amount itself if somebody has lots of money on a small phone).
However, it seems we don't need "show all" anymore if we only show
relevant events here.

Kind Regards,
Torsten