Re: [Taler] Exchange Terms of Service

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Taler] Exchange Terms of Service
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 22:29:48 +0100

On 1/6/23 19:55, Sebastian Javier Marchano wrote:
I agree with your expectations, maybe something to fix before the 9.2
release.

1.- wallet core should request text/markdown

Agreed.

2.- add documentation about missing section

Agreed. In fact, the entire ToS generation process seriously lacks documentation. But more importantly, it's still not very usable in the first place! We should probably unify the update-pp/update-tos scripts into some kind of taler-exchange-generate-terms.sh script that we can ship and that takes a RST file and translations and generates correct ToS on demand. But, I don't see this as terribly urgent.

3.- exchange should check and fail fast if ToS has the wrong format

No. That's way too complex for the exchange. The exchange has a process for how the ToS should be generated, the user should stick to that. I've just now extended the process so that the exchange actually supports text/markdown as a mime type and generates one from the RST specs. But we should not complicate the exchange logic with a markdown parser. That's too far.

4.- wallet-ui should keep fist section open of ToS

Agreed.

Also, more importantly and not yet implemented, users should be able to
access the ToS any time offline even if the exchange has updated the ToS.
If the exchange has updated the ToS, should the user be able to access old
and new ToS? Since it may have coins based on previous rules.

No, I don't think so. Storing the ToS locally likely would make the wallet DB significantly larger (which also creates more traffic for backups!), and it's pretty rare that a user would really want to read the ToS offline after having agreed to them. Not to mention exchanges are likely to offer the ToS in multiple languages, and switching between them might also be desirable. So this one I don't see as a positive change, just extra code and data for no important use-case.

My 2 cents

Christian