Re: [Taler] Exchange Terms of Service

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Taler] Exchange Terms of Service
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 18:29:27 +0100

On 1/7/23 15:21, Sebastian Javier Marchano wrote:
If the wallet and exchange has a conflict regarding the ToS the content is
important so the wallet user does not depend on someone storing the tos.
Empty wallet size, almost 2mb
Wallet with some coins, 5.5 mb
This is a small wallet without purchases.

That's insane. Why is it so big? I just checked, and the CHF /keys response is 360 KB (uncompressed JSON), or 130 kb compressed (gzip). I had expected the denomination /keys data to be the largest amount of data in an "empty" wallet (under the assumption that the wallet aggressively prefetches that data).

Furthermore, each coin should be like <500 bytes, so for "some coins" in a wallet I'd expect that to add a few KBs, not a few MBs!

So these sizes are all surprisingly large. Maybe not an urgent issue, but given that phones do have quite limited storage, that does sound like something we need to look into.