taskdeb-discuss

Re: Fixing vit to depend on Python3

From: Gordon Ball
Subject: Re: Fixing vit to depend on Python3
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 19:49:41 +0000

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 10:05:20AM -0700, Chad Phillips wrote:
> A recent message came across about vit being scheduled for autoremoval from
> the packaging system due to its dependency on Urwid:

Thanks for keeping an eye on vit in debian.

> "vit 2.0.0-1 is marked for autoremoval from testing on 2020-04-22
>
> It (build-)depends on packages with these RC bugs:
> 938759: urwid: Python2 removal in sid/bullseye"

This bug is now closed. The message is slightly misleading - vit in
debian is already using python 3, but the bug applies to the python2+3
source for urwid, with the bug being a request to stop building a
python2 version.

If this had not been fixed (it has been), then all packages (python2 and
python3 libs) built from the urwid source would eventually gave been
removed from the set of packages for inclusion in the next stable
release ("testing"), along with anything depending on them (including
vit), until the bug is fixed. It would not in any case completely remove
it from debian, which would only happen if it was found not legal to
distribute, or was unable to be built for a prolonged period, or the
maintainer requests that it be removed.

> I'm the vit maintainer, but don't handle the Debian packaging stuff, I'm
> not even exactly sure who does. However, I'm guessing this is a
> straightforward fix, to swap in the already existing Python 3 Urwid package:
>
> https://packages.debian.or666g/search?keywords=python3-urwid
>
> I hope whoever is in charge of this makes a fix in time, it would be a
> shame if vit didn't stay in the packaging system.

As noted above, this shouldn't be a problem - hope this helps explain
a bit.

Gordon