Re: [Tinycc-devel] I'm writing a Chinese article introducing TCC ...

From: Damian M Gryski
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] I'm writing a Chinese article introducing TCC ...
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 11:36:33 -0400

On Sun, 08 Jun 2003, ZHAO Wei wrote:
> Damian M Gryski wrote:
> >
> >   <address@hidden> cat hello.c |tcc -run /dev/stdin
> >   hello, world
> >   <address@hidden>
>
> Wow! That's great! But is there such a device in Linux? I was
> writing this article for a Linux magazine. Maybe there is a
> counterpart under /proc ?

   This was on a Debian GNU/Linux system.

   On my system, /dev/stdin is a symlink to /dev/fd/0 .  /dev/fd/ is
   a symlink to /proc/self/fd .

   I guess I thought /dev/stdin was fairly portable (across Linux
   distributions, anyway), but to be *fully* portable, use:
   /proc/self/fd/0 as the filename, since that's guaranteed to exist.

--
Damian Gryski          | "There is a crack, a crack in everything.
 address@hidden  |  That's how the light gets in."