Re: [Tinycc-devel] TinyCC's future

From: Peter Fröhlich
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] TinyCC's future
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 15:27:11 -0700

Hi all,

On Apr 9, 2005, at 15:20, Neil Bradley wrote:

I had been told at one time that anything beyond x86 was not in TCC's future. That got me thinking - what is the intenet on TCC's future? It's an honest question, not meant to flame or insult. I feel it's a sleekly designed compiler with a potentially bright future - something to rival the albatross that gcc has become. What it's ultimate goal?

I don't know what the "official" future of it is, but I just approved a 10 week student project in which they're going to try to make it into a PPC compiler under OS X. Should be interesting, I am sure it has not been designed for easy portability...

If a new platform can be added in this short timeframe, it would probably be a good idea to take the experiences my students will accumulate and then decide whether it's worth the effort to try to extend tcc into a cross-platform compiler. I am sure it would become a little more complex in the process, but probably nowhere near as bloated as GCC.

Just my $0.02,
Peter

PS: Are there other ports of tcc that I didn't find on my cursory search?
--
Peter H. Froehlich <><><><><><> http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~phf/