Re: [Tinycc-devel] Compiling qemu-0.8.2 with tcc (yes, I am insane).

From: Dave Dodge
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Compiling qemu-0.8.2 with tcc (yes, I am insane).
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 02:34:01 -0400

On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 12:39:12AM -0400, Rob Landley wrote:
> I don't see how this is significantly different from a docbook to
> pdf converter.

Well, it's about a 1000 times easier to install than anything to do
with docbook :-). I've been known to edit software packages to remove
dependencies on docbook because it's such a nightmare to get the
blasted thing in place.  And don't even get me started on
docbook-related processing tools that assume they'll have network
access at runtime.

...sorry about that, any mention of the "d" word tends to get me
ranting.

> It sounds like you made it run on x86-64, from which it can
> presumably produce binaries for x86, arm, and whatever the heck c67
> is?

As much as I love the idea of a trivial cross-compiler, there are some
gotchas.  For example it has to be sure to use header files that match
the target machine's libraries.  There's also minor variations in the
architecture support itself, for example the Win64 ABI is LLP64 on
x86_64 instead of the LP64 design that everyone else uses.

                                                  -Dave Dodge