Re: [Tinycc-devel] autoconfiscation

From: Peter Lund
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] autoconfiscation
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 08:14:19 +0200

On Mon, 2007-08-27 at 18:06 -0500, Rob Landley wrote:

> If we're doing enough feature tests we need to cache the results, something
> is
> wrong.

I agree.  I was just saying that it was possible (and it was necessary
in my case because I had to check for many packages with pkg-config +
get the location of their include files and library files).

>    How about not having that many tests?

Certainly the option I would prefer.  I don't see tcc as having nearly
as many external dependencies as my project had.

>   Our ./configure step doesn't
> take 15 minutes to run (unlike some of the gnu projects), and I'd rather have
> the build take an extra 3 seconds than have the complexity of a configuration
> cacheing layer.

Absolutely agreed.  But I don't expect it to be even that much.

> I actually think the _easy_ way to
> handle this is to generate all cross compilers by default and then
> have a
> small shell script create a symlink to the one that produces output
> for our
> host platform (if any).

I would like that :)

> Note that right now, the code doesn't work right if you build it
> with -funsigned-char (which is why I added the flag to specify).  Personally
> I prefer -funsigned-char because it makes your ascii handling naturally 8-bit
> clean, which makes things like utf8 handling easier.  Not a _huge_ deal in a
> compiler, but still... :)

Absolutely agreed.

-Peter