Re: [Tinycc-devel] TCC built using NOSTDLIB crashes on linux

From: KHMan
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] TCC built using NOSTDLIB crashes on linux
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 12:23:54 +0800

Rob Landley wrote:
> On Thursday 31 January 2008 21:23:49 KHMan wrote:
>> Mike wrote:
>>> I was trying to compile TCC using the -nostdlib option.
>>>
>>> (Here's my command (which works))
>>> bash$ gcc -nostdlib -o tcc tcc.c /usr/lib/crt1.o /usr/lib/crti.o -ldl
>>> -lc -lgcc
>>> bash$
>>>
>>> (Here's my result (which is a crash))
>>> bash$ ./tcc qwert
>>> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>>> bash$
>>>
>> [snip] You can also try Rob Landley's
>> fork and see if the same issue appears.
>
> My build system's totally different, but I'm happy to help him with his
> issue.
> (I don't post much on a list I was asked to leave, but as long as my name's
> come up anyway...)

Thanks Rob for chipping in. My suggestion was probably a little
too speculative, sorry, it was not a helpful suggestion anyway.
Sorry to have distracted you, perhaps you should just delete
off-on-a-wild-blue-yonder stuff like this next time, unless it is
a valid bug, etc. :-)

> Did you try building a "hello world" program with that command line, to see
> if
> _that_ segfaults?

I tried that on Ubuntu 6.10. Just "./tcc" alone core dumps; if
he's asking about why "./tcc qwert" failed, I'd question whether
he has done any homework himself. So if Mike wants to play with
non-standard link options, he'd better be prepared to conduct some
investigation of his own. Perhaps he needs to write a test case
for *gcc* that works with the -nostdlib thingy and exercises the
bunch of symbols tcc needs, before attempting the same trick on
the whole kaboodle.

My first posting was mainly out of concern; enthusiasts should not
be routinely asking for the very limited resources of tcc
developers or the list to chase down these things -- it is not a
real good use of their time. On the Mingw list, there was two
cases in two weeks where somebody treated the list like tech
support, and in a demanding and somewhat belligerent manner. Us
old-timers gawk mutely and wonder in awe at such audacious
jaw-dropping behaviour. :-)

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)