Re: [Tinycc-devel] C Exception Handling: Any takers?

From: KHMan
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] C Exception Handling: Any takers?
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 00:41:25 +0800

Ivo wrote:
On Thursday 03 September 2009 16:21, Mikael Lyngvig wrote:
I can see that almost 40 people have read my little "paper" on extending
C with exception handling, but I have received no emails regarding the
issue.

One of those 40 was me. In principle, I like your implementation, but I don't think it belongs in a C compiler. I don't get the whole fuzz about exceptions anyway. Nevertheless, if you want to find people that might be interrested in your ideas, I think the LLVM development mailinglist would be your best choice. Especially if you could make it work for C++ execptions, too. IIRC, there has been a thread there about different trade-offs for exception handling implementations recently.

I've read it too. To Mikael:

I think it will have to be the original author's responsibility to create a usable implementation, since it appears the paper has not excited anyone. Wrapping a single statement in a try{} block is a trivial example; you need to show non-trivial examples, plus things like throwing across call boundaries, etc. Also, C++ handles object destruction etc., and also, there are downsides to over-using the exception paradigm. It's a hard sell.

Since you have not heard from anyone, realistically I think you will need to do your own implementation. Often, active Open Source developers have too many ideas, too little time. For most FLOSS projects, developer resources is a very scarce commodity.

Even if tcc adopts an implementation, it will only be a curio, because tcc not being a mainstream production compiler cannot drive adoption of cute stuff. Hence, this is a really uphill thing... good luck anyway.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)