Re: [Tinycc-devel] VPATH builds

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] VPATH builds
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 09:04:49 +0100

Hi Grishka
Le 18 déc. 2012 à 21:29, grischka <address@hidden> a écrit :

>> I can provide help to provide other useful targets, such as "make dist" and
>> "make distcheck".
>
> Thomas who manages a distro (debian) might want to comment.

It is not so much related to distros than to the ability
to wrap correct tarballs.

>> Actually, is it on purpose that Autoconf and Automake are
>> not used?
>
> I think so.  Tinycc is fast and small.  The Autospam chain stands for
> being obscenely slow and bloated.

Well, a lot of things can be said about these tools, but they get
the job done.

> Using it would damage Tinycc's karma.

As do broken VPATH builds and weirdly written Makefiles :)

>> What do you think about the VPATH-builds related changes?
>
> I think it can't hurt provided it works.  Build directories for
> the cross-compilers (arm-tcc etc ...) would be nice too.
>
> Btw, the term "VPATH-builds" seems to be an autospam metabolite, also.

Just suggest a name, I don't care much.  At least this one
is understood by some people.

> In an ideal world make would offer name- and option-spaces natively
> nowadays, and autospam would just bitrot somewhere as the small script
> that it was once before it became a virus.  ... I got distracted.

There are a lot of viruses that have spread over the world.
C for instance, who benefitted from the success of Unix.