Re: [Tinycc-devel] Do we want a BSD license for tinycc?

From: Thomas Preud'homme
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Do we want a BSD license for tinycc?
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 16:00:31 +0200

Le mercredi 1 mai 2013 05:54:54, KHMan a écrit :
> On 5/1/2013 9:51 AM, Rob Landley wrote:
> >>
> >> Does that mean you prefer it over the LGPL?
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGmtP5Lg_t0#t=15m10s
> >
> >> What about you, grischka? Which one do you prefer?
> >
> > Why on earth would that matter?
> >
> > I identified a dozen people I have to talk to just to get a clean
> > version of the code in _my_ fork. You guys have been doing a "mob"
> > branch for years, with random drive-by commits from people you
> > don't even know, who have zero ongoing relationship with the project.
> >
> > What makes you think you _can_ relicense your version?
>
> I agree with Rob. Too many large and small contribs to be casually
> discussing about relicensing...

I've been thinking about it as well. I wondered for instance about whether to
ask people whose code constribution have been entirely rewritten since. On the
one hand none of their code remains, on the other hand one could say the new
code is just an improvement of the old one. It probably depends of the
modifications made. Contacting everyone sounds impossible and it would thus
require rewritting some bits. Maybe many many bits. And let me tell you I'm
not overly excited about auditing the code ownership.

Also, I already see several people against such a move. One of them wrote the
arm support and added probably more code to tcc than I did. I don't feel like
pushing the change.

Best regards,

Thomas