Re: [Tinycc-devel] Speed of development of a compiler.

From: AlexandreFressange
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Speed of development of a compiler.
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 21:13:29 +0100

Thanks a lot Basile,

this is exactly the kind of answer I was expecting: digging around the problem,
showing it with much intelligence and proposing multiple ways to solve it.

Now, I am about to finish my OS that will not be open source (no need, not a
community project), I was working on some performance optimizations for memory
management. I have been coding for 15 years now, but my initial formation is
unrelated with CS. This OS is for very specific purposes that are currently
being developed for a startup (I won't say much more right now, right here, but
will happily do in a few time). The language resembles python but is even
simpler (but has pointers; we always need them :) ),follows no ISO, steals good
ideas on C( atomics and so on), communicate liberally with the OS; I've
rewritten the musl library to fit the OS needs.

I am used to gas and nasm for x86 assembly coding.

I guess you are right, I should create a github for it and its compiler.

Why I need that: there will be a need to update the code in environment without
internet, and llvm/gcc are too heavyweight. More, simpler language can lead to
fewer bugs.
And to say the least, I don't want to be dependent on C++. It narrows the
choice much.

I seriously considered the need for a new compiler, when others are existing.
But on the other hand, I am curious to see if I can create a lightweight
alternative that would only fit my os (on those archs) and language.

I concur, that is a crazy task.

I've been thinking and designing the whole thing starting last year, at the
same time I started the OS project (which borrows some pieces with freebsd, but
not much). But, as you know, a compiler is.. something.

My participations on forums are very limited. the stackoverflow has already a
great deal of answers actually. I prefer the exchanges we can have on mailing
lists (easier to express/discuss ideas off the crowd).

--
Alex