Re: [Tinycc-devel] core dump on FreeBSD with last commit "configure: --t

From: grischka
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] core dump on FreeBSD with last commit "configure: --triplet= option, Makefile: cleanup"
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 18:49:33 +0200

Michael Matz wrote:
Hmm and now I see that this hunk also generally breaks building the target compilers like x86_64-tcc, because they don't get NATIVE_DEFINES from config.mak, and hence no -DCONFIG_LDDIR even if configure would have found the correct one, so it now defaults to /lib, and boom.

Hi Michael,

Honestly, in my book the cross compilers are just to test
compilation,  they are not assumed to work out of the box.
(Except the windows compiles where everything you need comes
with the source and therefor is well known where it is).

There is no support whatsoever from our configure either.
People tried to "fix" that but I was not able to detect
any underlying concept.

As I see it, if you want cross-compilers that really work you
need to edit/add the CONFIG_TCC_XXXX paths for that target
manually in the Makefile (which is not difficult at all) or
pass via environment or something. (We could maybe add a
"cross-config-include.mak.template" as an example).

As to the lib/lib64 issue, whatever you can figure out I'm fine.

Except I'd prefer to have the logic in only one location, that
is NOT in both the Makefile AND configure, because that is just
confusing.

FYI: on my (old 8.10 from 2008) ubuntu 64, there is /usr/lib64,
but it is a link to /usr/lib.  There is also /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu,
but it is empty.  I was under the impression that lib64 was an
old misguided concept from the early 64 bit days. Maybe I was wrong.

Thanks,

-- grischka