Re: [Tinycc-devel] Can you compile TCC using TCC?

From: avih
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Can you compile TCC using TCC?
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 09:36:28 +0000 (UTC)

The property of a compiler that it can compile itself is called self-hosting, and yes, tcc is self-hosting and so it can compile itself.

As for building without a makefile, for windows, there's a batch file at the win32 dir of the tcc sources which can compile tcc without using a makefile, but it's not very configurable and it assumes gcc is available for that. It could be modified to allow also tcc to be used, but right now it can't.

However, I believe the last officially released windows tcc binaries (0.26) which was released some years ago cannot compile the current tcc sources if I recall correctly.

I'd suggest to compile tcc using gcc first (using a makefile) and then using the resulting tcc to compile itself. Instructions from scratch for doing exactly that on windows (using msys2) are available here: http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/tinycc-devel/2016-10/msg00067.html

Step 6 in the linked instructions will build tcc using gcc, and step 7 will built tcc again, now using the newly built tcc. In those steps (6, 7) remove the "--enable-cross" parts.