Re: [Tinycc-devel] Can you compile TCC using TCC?

From: avih
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Can you compile TCC using TCC?
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 12:52:39 +0000 (UTC)

Ben, please reply to the mailing list next time. Thanks.

On Wednesday, January 18, 2017 12:08 AM, Ben Hutchinson <address@hidden> wrote:

> I want a version of TCC that will run on both 32bit and 64bit Windows. In order to make tcc.exe run on both 32bit and 64bit Windows, I will need to compile TCC as a 32bit EXE file rather than a 64bit EXE file. Problem is, MSYS2 is only available now as a 64bit compiler. I can't compile 32bit EXE files with it, and that's a show stopper for me.

MSYS2 is available as both 64 and 32 installs, and both can compile either 32 or 64 bit applications. The instructions I linked to in my first reply will get you a 32 bit application (tcc).

> Also as far as I know, the latest version of TCC (both source and binaries)  is 0.26. I would think that if TCC can compile TCC, then each version of TCC should be able to compile whatever its own version is. So TCC 0.26 should be able to compile TCC 0.26. Or is there some later version of TCC now that exists only as source code?

tcc 0.9.26 is few years old and a lot of progress was made since, but no official release was made since then - and it's only available as source code. There are some talks of 0.9.27 getting released soon (TM). You can find the git repository from this page: http://repo.or.cz/w/tinycc.git and the current zipped snapshot is http://repo.or.cz/tinycc.git/snapshot/5420bb8a67f5f782ac49c90afb7da178a60c448a.zip

> Personally I'm just trying to compile version TCC 0.26 with TCC 0.26.

tcc 0.9.26 can probably compile itself with the instructions I linked to earlier (after you git checkout the 0.9.26 tag), but you probably want to build the latest source instead which has many fixes and improvements over 0.9.26.

> And by the way, there's also a problem with that source code release (at least in the version 0.26 official source code release from the official TCC website, not sure if there are any corrected versions floating around the web). It appears to be missing a particular file. That file is config.h. If you look in the Makefile, you'll see the line that says "CPPFLAGS = -I$(TOP) # for config.h" but if you look at the available h files in the TCC source code folder, there is no file called "config.h". So that right there is going to prevent compiling. I'm tempted to just remove that line from the Makefile, but don't even know what things are supposed to be defined in config.h. They may be very critical to the correct compilation of TCC, and without config.h it may be 100% impossible to compile TCC.

> Some help here would be greatly appreciated.

config.h is created when you run the configure script, and includes configuration which is specific to your system (e.g. whether it's a windows tcc or linux, and more). Again, the instructions I linked to would result in exactly what you want - latest tcc 32 for windows.