[Tinycc-devel] An experiment for C (first draft).

From: ag
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] An experiment for C (first draft).
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2018 18:08:38 +0300

On Tue, Apr 03, at 04:03 Theodore Dubois wrote:
>> I would like to use the followings in my C:
>>
>> (this is a very very first start (the intention is to go far far
>> away (if time is generous of course (doubtfull)))):
>>
>> #define ifnot(expr)  if ((expr) == 0)
>> #define beg {
>> #define end }
>
> This would work.

Hi Theodore, I hope you are doing well,

I thought you might be interested to know that you was absolutely right, it
really worked!

https://github.com/agathoklisx/veda/blob/master/src/00/interp/I.CC

There is a build script to the root of the repo, which compiles the executable
and its libraries, both compiled with gcc and tcc.
There is also a shell script to run some early preliminary tests, again from
both
compilers and also those same tests through valgrind and gdb.

> Using the beg and end macros would also mess up auto indenting in most
> editors.

here is a look and feel picture from my editor:

https://github.com/agathoklisx/ciasci/blob/master/.look/ciasci.jpg

Now, jokes aside, you might underestimate the role of the beauty (i do not),
or|and how a human mind parses the text and the logical order of how express
the ideas, like:

  if (expression) return

instead of:

   return if (expression)

the flow is not the same (in the first occasion it seems like unatural, and
i really feel a measurable instant stuck) (again, is not wise to underestimate
this).

The thing is: Rust (unless a big surprise) will dominate in next years to come,
and for good reasons. And if we really really care enough about young people, we
just have to say to them to not bother with C anymore, and that is a real pity,
because is the most powerfull tool in existense, so close connected with the
machine.
And this is good, is desirable, but we are humans with anarch minds (that is how
use to call our god here) and we we are not (slaves to) machines and will never
be and we do not want to be. And we can use a little bit more expressionism,
without
sacrifices (by just wanted to want and a little bit more freedom to experiment).

Personally (and also thanks to tcc guys), i enjoyed the ride and i won a little
bit more confidense with C (especially for the string operations and pointers
understanding) so big thanks for the encouragement (it really helps people, give
it a try from time to time).

Best,
  Αγαθοκλής