Re: [Tinycc-devel] Plan9 extensions

From: Elijah Stone
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Plan9 extensions
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 20:17:58 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 18 May 2021, grischka wrote:

While nicely done formally I would think these patches still seem to add quite a lot of 'td' (mostly mentioned in combination with '= 0;' or '= td;')

I noticed that...

Not sure if there's a better way, though. Adding the field to 'Sym' wouldn't make sense, since you can typedef the same type multiple times; which typedef you use is a property of a specific declaration.

for a rather obscure feature

Tracking the typedefs also improves error messages--if you use typedefs, you will get messages like "cannot convert 'struct <anonymous>' to 'struct <anonymous>'" which is not really helpful

(Granted I don't think error messages are very helpful anyway, but still.)

Did you eventually consider to introduce yourself to tinycc with something more commonly useful, ideally within a range that you would be able to handle easily, already? ;)

I think most of the features I want are either complex and obscure (e.g. custom linker scripts, intel assembler, dwarf) or completely trivial (one-argument _Static_assert, better EFI support, custom entry point).

So--we'll see, I suppose :)

 -E