[Tinycc-devel] C standards committee

From: Detlef Riekenberg
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] C standards committee
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 00:06:11 +0100

Hi JeanHeyd

I'm tracking c23 and we already exchanged some mails last autum.
There are also bug reports for the open issues i send to you.

tcc status, without additional testing
( see http://www.github.com/winspool/stdtests )
c99: complex missing (but that's allowed since c11 with the define)
c99: _Pragma keyword missing (#pragma works)
c11: unicode strings missing: u8, u and U prefix
c11: threads.h: does thread/sync functions need compiler support?
c11: stdatomic.h: needs some work
c11: _Thread_local: missing
c17: not looked at
c23: __has_include: implemented
c23: _Static_assert without comment: supported
c23: #warning: implemented

A lot of things in the C standard are not checked in our testsuite.

Fun fact: The c23 proposal for '__has_include' mentioned,
that tcc supports '__has_include', but at that time,
only the keyword was detected, but ignored :-)

Autoconf feature checks for c11 where already on this list.
Last missing step used by Autoconf for enable c11 with tcc
are the u8 strings/literals.

Primary advantage for using tcc is compilation speed,
so every fancy feature added to the C standard is probably bad for tcc.

btw, i'm looking at / following:
* OpenWatcom-v2
* Autoconf
* csmith ( see also: https://www.github.com/winspool/csmith.sh )