tramp-devel

Re: tramp (2.5.1.3 nil/nil); Add Guix System remote path

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.5.1.3 nil/nil); Add Guix System remote path
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 09:03:55 +0200

Vivien Kraus <vivien@planete-kraus.eu> writes:

> Hello Michael,

Hi Vivien,

> Is it not possible to just test for the existence of the /run/current-
> system/profile/bin (and .../sbin if needed) directory? I’m not familiar
> with the tramp code base, why should tramp even know it is connecting
> to a guix system server? I thought it would just set the PATH to all
> possible default candidates and let the remote shell decide. Is it not
> the case?

Tramp checks for all candidates of tramp-remote-path whether they exist
on the remote host, and filters the non-existing out. This is due to
security reasons.

So yes, it would be feasible just to add these two directories to
tramp-remote-path. However, if I do it in the Tramp codebase
unconditionally, this check will be performed for all users. I suspect
most of them don't connect a remote guix system; this additional check
would be a performance penalty for them during the handshake. And with
the same argument other users could request to add further directories
to tramp-remote-path initial value.

Wouldn't it be much simpler, if you configure tramp-remote-path on your
own? After all, it is a user option, intended for this.

(add-to-list 'tramp-remote-path "/run/current-system/profile/bin" t)
(add-to-list 'tramp-remote-path "/run/current-system/profile/sbin" t)

> Vivien

Best regards, Michael.