tramp-devel

Re: tramp (2.5.1.3 nil/nil); Add Guix System remote path

From: Vivien Kraus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.5.1.3 nil/nil); Add Guix System remote path
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 09:29:07 +0200

Hi Michael,

Le dimanche 10 octobre 2021 à 09:03 +0200, Michael Albinus a écrit :
> Wouldn't it be much simpler, if you configure tramp-remote-path on
> your
> own? After all, it is a user option, intended for this.
That is precisely what I did, as you can see in the big configuration I
sent in the first email. However, I’m worried new users would be
disappointed if tramp does not work out of the box for guix system
servers.

> Tramp checks for all candidates of tramp-remote-path whether they
> exist
> on the remote host, and filters the non-existing out. This is due to
> security reasons.
OK, I understand that the path order on emacs-side is not the same as
that of the server side, so a malicious actor could try to fit
malicious programs in places that would be ignored by the system, but
picked by emacs.

If you want to avoid extra work on the server, the proposed solutions
don’t work, so uname -sr should return something useful, or better yet,
getconf should work. I think I get it.

I’ll see if something can be done on guix side.

Best regards,

Vivien