trans-coord-devel

Re: Make lang.po override translations?

From: Dora Scilipoti
Subject: Re: Make lang.po override translations?
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 14:22:00 +0200

Hello Ineiev,

On 4/16/22 14:58, Ineiev wrote:

> Yes, this is correct. the up-to-date translations from articles
> are used to update $lang.po, and $lang.po is used to fill missing
> translations from articles.

OK, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "translations from
articles"; specifically, what you mean by "articles". So I think we
should agree on terminology to make sure we are talking about the same
thing and I understand you explanation correctly.

Under /proprietary we have files. For example, malware-apple.html (the
"page") and malware-apple.es.po (the "translation" of the page).

Each page contains:

* An introduction that consists of one or more paragraphs.
* Items: the various entries that are submitted regularly (this may be
what you call "articles" but I'm not sure).

> If $lang.po overrode up-to-date translations from articles, it would
> mean one of the following:
>
> * When an article needs a specific translation for the same string
>   (different from translations for other articles), that string
>   can't have a translation in $lang.po, moreover, translations
>   from articles can't be used to automatically fill $lang.po
>   (because $lang.po in its turn is used to update other articles)

Assuming by "article" you mean "items", I think it's unlikely that they
may have to be translated differently. Items can't be modified by context.

If you mean paragraphs in the introduction of the page, the situation is
the same.

But it's possible that I am missing something and thus failing to follow
your reasoning.

> * All strings have to be translated in the same way; I believe
>   this would be an unacceptable limitation.

Yes, they all have to be translated in the same way. It's exactly the
same situation we have with common strings in the rest of the website,
and for that we use master.LANG.po.

I still don't understand why the same concept can't be applied to
/proprietary.

> * Some way to introduce "strong" translations is needed, e.g. via
>   magic comments in PO or additional PO files, as you suggested.

I don't understand what you mean by "strong translations" or "magic
comments". And what did I suggest?

[...]

> When translators want to fix a translation in many articles,
> they can fix it in $lang.po and use gettext tools to remove the
> wrong translations from other files.

[...]

I really appreciate your effort to explain the procedure but for me it
would be much more easier and faster to just edit each po file individually.

--
Dora Scilipoti
gnu.org/education