trans-coord-devel

Re: Make lang.po override translations?

From: Ineiev
Subject: Re: Make lang.po override translations?
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 09:12:46 +0000

Hello, Dora;

On Sun, Apr 17, 2022 at 02:22:00PM +0200, Dora Scilipoti wrote:

> On 4/16/22 14:58, Ineiev wrote:
>
> > Yes, this is correct. the up-to-date translations from articles
> > are used to update $lang.po, and $lang.po is used to fill missing
> > translations from articles.
>
> OK, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "translations from
> articles"; specifically, what you mean by "articles".

By "articles" I mean pages in the directory in question.

> Each page contains:
>
> * An introduction that consists of one or more paragraphs.
> * Items: the various entries that are submitted regularly (this may be
> what you call "articles" but I'm not sure).

It also contains the copyright notices, translators' credits and
translators' notes; the translators should be able to provide
page-specific translations at least for these parts---but for other
parts as well.

> > * All strings have to be translated in the same way; I believe
> >   this would be an unacceptable limitation.
>
> Yes, they all have to be translated in the same way. It's exactly the
> same situation we have with common strings in the rest of the website,
> and for that we use master.LANG.po.
>
> I still don't understand why the same concept can't be applied to
> /proprietary.

master.$lang.po contains a very limited set of strings, and every
string in it should be checked carefully; per-directory compendia
contain all strings from the pages in the directory.

> > * Some way to introduce "strong" translations is needed, e.g. via
> >   magic comments in PO or additional PO files, as you suggested.
>
> I don't understand what you mean by "strong translations" or "magic
> comments".

I mean a means to mark the translations that would override other
(otherwise up-to-date) translations of the same string.

> And what did I suggest?

I must have misunderstood that, anyway, so I don't elaborate here.