Re: [Traverso-devel] (Ladspa) plugins, please help :-)

From: Nicola Doebelin
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] (Ladspa) plugins, please help :-)
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 19:14:12 +0200

Am Donnerstag, 20. Juli 2006 19:16 schrieb Remon Sijrier:
> What type of objects should have plugin support?
>
> Track, Song MasterOut and AudioClip
>
> or:
>
> Track and Song MasterOut

I think Track, MasterOut and AudioClip would be ideal. If you don't know how
to design the GUI to give access to plugins in AudioClips, I would
nevertheless recommend to add the internal infrastructure to AudioClips and
MasterOut now.

> In respect to applying the effect.
> Hydrogen mixes it by default with the "dry" signal.
> That is, it makes a copy of the audio rendered so far, runs the plugin
> over the copy, and mixes the output of the plugin with the original
> rendered audio.
> The amount if "wet" signal is controlled by a fader.
>
> But I'm not sure if this is the desired way of applying effects.
> Does any of you have a clear idea of the desired way to do this?

There are indeed effects where this makes sense (reverb for example). But in
that case the plugin should take care of mixing the wet and dry signal, not
the host app. (Btw. the same effect can be achieved using AUX sends, once
they are available ;-)) So my recommendation: Pipe the primary audio stream
through the plugins rather than a copy.

Nic

P.S.: Are you aware of the problem of "latency compensation"?