Re: [Traverso-devel] (Ladspa) plugins, please help :-)

From: Remon Sijrier
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] (Ladspa) plugins, please help :-)
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 21:57:08 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

>> What type of objects should have plugin support?
>>
>> Track, Song MasterOut and AudioClip
>>
>> or:
>>
>> Track and Song MasterOut
>
> I think Track, MasterOut and AudioClip would be ideal. If you don't know
> how

Thought so too!

> to design the GUI to give access to plugins in AudioClips, I would
> nevertheless recommend to add the internal infrastructure to AudioClips
> and
> MasterOut now.

The whole GUI part is still unclear, I think I'll borrow some idea's for
it from hydrogen too, and supply Traverso with a "standard" way of editing
ladspa plugins via the well known "plugin settings dialog" :-)

The graphical representation in the TrackView, and AudioClipView ....
Will see how that goes.

>> But I'm not sure if this is the desired way of applying effects.
>> Does any of you have a clear idea of the desired way to do this?
>
> There are indeed effects where this makes sense (reverb for example). But
> in
> that case the plugin should take care of mixing the wet and dry signal,
> not
> the host app. (Btw. the same effect can be achieved using AUX sends, once
> they are available ;-)) So my recommendation: Pipe the primary audio
> stream
> through the plugins rather than a copy.

Sounds good, all this copying stuff is rather expensive!
I had a look (only very quickly) to the ardour ladspa plugin code, and
there the primary audio is piped to the plugins, at least from what I
could makeup from the code :-)

> P.S.: Are you aware of the problem of "latency compensation"?

Ehm, yes and no :-)

I actually forgot about it. Investigating...