Fwd: Re: [Traverso-devel] Behaviour of mute/solo

From: Nicola Döbelin
Subject: Fwd: Re: [Traverso-devel] Behaviour of mute/solo
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 09:53:08 +0200

(Remon: Sorry for the double post, 'reply' always fills in your personal
address.)

Hi Remon,

> > The gap between switching and
> > hearing the effect is no problem IMO,
>
> For small projects, the gap would be very small. However, if you have a
> large project, the gap becomes bigger and bigger since more time is spend
> to fill all the buffers...

Just to clarify: When you write 'gap' do you mean drop outs in playback or a
delay between clicking and hearing the result? The latter shouldn't be a
problem, but drop outs or stuttering playback just because solo/mute is pressed
would be nasty.

> A reasonable hard drive should be able to achieve about 20 MB/s ?
> That would be about 120 audio files or 60 stereo audioclips.

I experienced some HD overloads on my Samplitude DAW, but only occassionaly in
huge projects with crossfades. There was probably also some OS related HD
activity in the background.

Regards,
Nic

NEU: GMX DSL Sofort-Start-Set - blitzschnell ins Internet!
Echte DSL-Flatrate ab 0,- Euro* http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl